When Henrietta officially became a town in 1818, it also became the crossroad of Monroe County. The pioneers settled here on the various crossroads of the town and agriculture became their prominent occupation. Not only is Henrietta the geographical center of the county, it has also become the apex for business and commerce, culture and history. The history of Henrietta began with the sale of land that is known as the Phelps and Gorham Purchase This purchase opened up western New York State for development after the Revolutionary War. It included over a million acres starting north from Lake Ontario and south to the Pennsylvania border; east from Geneva and west to the Genesee river.